NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Monday, October 22, 2012

10/02/06 - Progress

Greetings All,

Mom is doing well.   A general overview:

On Saturday A.M. Mom slumped over the stove while cooking breakfast (no burns).  Dad got her to the floor and called 911.  It has been determined that she has a hardening of a blood vessel in the left side of her brain.  There is a little blood that seems to be getting through, but the blockage caused a stroke.  Her blood levels were low for clotting purposes (meaning she could have thrown a clot anytime) so she is on meds for that and for her high blood pressure.  Both of those things are stable now.
 
 At this point Mom is able to use her left hand and arm and move her left leg and foot, she seems to understand simple questions and commands, she will squeeze your hand in order to answer yes to things like "do you want to sit up more?".   She is able to follow some commands like comb your hair and raise your arm.  She looked at the moon outside her window last night when I pointed it out and has been watching the rainbows on the sheets from the crystal that Paul rigged up in the window.   She is also able to swallow - YEAH! - and is eating pureed foods.  What a blessing from Saturday when she was mainly unresponsive.  Mom is not able to usefully move her right arm, hand, foot or leg, and she is unable to speak.

As of today she is receiving speech, occupational and physical therapy. 

There is hope that she can regain some movement on the right side since there seems to be a small flow of blood getting by the blockage but whatever happens, it's going to be a long row to hoe.  The staff at Chambersburg Hospital is dynamite.  They are all friendly, loving, and professional, treating Mom as if she was their own mother.  What a blessing.

Dad is doing well.  He spends the day at the hospital, encouraging Mom and harassing the staff (they like him).  We are all trying to take good care of ourselves so we can help to take good care of Mom.  We all know how Mom cooks and freezes stuff...now I wonder if she was preparing us for something like this.  With her, I wouldn't be surprised.  Needless to say, if we complain about eating too many hot dogs, pop tarts or ramen noodles, it's our own fault for not opening the freezer door.

Continue to keep praying and sending good thoughts Mom's way, she is making progress and that is a great thing.  I'll try to keep up the email reports, please forward this on to anyone you don't see on the list.

Much love,
Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment