NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

At The Hospital

It’s sort of a blur, I will try to recreate seeing Mom for the first time after the stroke (she had one, you know).

Before we entered Mom’s room on the 2nd floor , Dad came out; we exchanged hugs and general greetings.  Dad reiterated that Mom was “out of it” and to gave us some info on her status…can’t quite remember all those details.
The room was dim, quiet and smelled of hospital.  Mom was in the second bed, closest to the window.  When I went in her eyes were closed, she was breathing on her own and she just looked worn out and disheveled.  I went over and rubbed Mom’s left arm and held her hand.  She opened her eyes and turned her head to look at me.  She seemed to have a look of confusion; hooded eyes, squinting as if thinking “Now who are you again?”  I can’t recall major details, only feelings:  loss – this is NOT Mom;  fright – is she in pain?; inner strength – I must stay strong to put Mom at ease; anxiety – what am I suppose to do now?
Various medical professionals told us the quick and dirty of stroke recovery…pretty much a wait-and-see type of game.  No one knows how much damage was actually done to the brain and which of Mom’s facilities could be affected; literally only time would tell.
Meanwhile Dad, Paul, Mike and I shuffled around feeling uncomfortable and scared; trying to figure out what Mom may want or need, trying to remember what medical professionals were telling us, trying not to be at such a loss.  It was getting late and we all had had a long day.  Immediate decisions were made; I would spend the night with Mom in her hospital room on the barker lounger and the boys would head home to get some rest.  I was supposed to call if anything earth-shattering happened.  Everyone would come back in the morning and I would return to Mom and Dad’s to rest after a barker-lounger-sleepless night.

That first night after the stroke was possibly the longest night of my life (as I write this I have two children, ages 3 and 5 so that’s saying something).  I was pretty comfortable in the chair and the nurses and support staff were caring and tolerant of me.  I was offered blankets, pillows, juice and crackers, up to the minute information about Mom’s status, comforting words, and a couple soft pats on the shoulder.  Throughout the night, anytime Mom moved or made a noise I was silently up and by her side to assist or to just give her comfort knowing someone was there.  It eased my mind in the midst of my turmoil to think that I may have been a comfort to Mom, but who knows, I could have been bugging the stuffing out of her.

At some point the sky outside the hospital room window began to brighten, the boys returned and Mike took me home to Mom and Dad’s.  I was so wired that I couldn’t think of putting my head to a pillow, so I sat at the computer and began typing an email to our family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment