NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

10/03/06 - Laughing (at us)

Greetings,

Great day for Mom.  I put her glasses on her face for the first time this a.m. and she looked at me like "Well finally!"  I was holding her left hand and said "Now Mom, squeeze my hand…" to ask if she could see better but she started squeezing before I finished my question.  I said "Hold on mom, I didn't ask the question yet" and she just kept squeezing, then the left side of her mouth curved up and she started making noises...of course laughing at me for trying to get her to communicate something she was already communicating. 

We laughed for awhile about that.  She is now pointing to the food she wants on the tray and turning food away that she doesn't like (the mash potatoes suck...I'm sure she would use that word).  With assistance from the OT and PT, she sat on the edge of the bed and balanced herself a bit, stood and then sat in a chair.  After the therapists left, I gave Mom the newspaper, and there she was, sitting in the chair wearing her glasses and looking at the paper.  After awhile she fell asleep in the chair...everything is back to normal. 

Dad brought in Mom’s cat that is soft and purrs when you squeeze it; she has been petting it and such.  At least she doesn't have to clean out a litter box.  The speech therapist gave us a speech chart to use with Mom. 

The chart has pictures of basic things she may want and then a big Yes  No ?  in the middle to point to in order to answer questions.  As I was feeding her peaches for lunch, Dad whipped out the chart and asked, "Peggy, do you want more peaches?"  She rolled her eyes (progress), took the chart from him, shoved it under the table and pulled the peaches closer to her.   Then she laughed, we got a kick out of that.  After lunch, she reached for Dad's hand and pulled him closer to her.  He went to kiss her on the lips and she grabbed his baseball hat off his head.  Just then the nurse came in and we turned to look at her. When we looked back at Mom, she had the hat on her head.  She seems to be getting a little enjoyment out of this experience...at our expense but we love it.

Once Mom is medically stable (maybe later this week), she will either be moved to the 4th floor for intense physical therapy or moved to another facility for more moderate therapy.  We are pushing for the 4th floor (but not the 5th...I think that may be the psych ward and they might not let us out).  Many of you have asked about sending cards.  Feel free to send them to the house and we can take them to her.  Flowers would make mom sneeze, just letting you know.

Mom has a phone in her room, but if we are not there, it just rings and rings.  If you feel the need to call, please call the house and we can return your call when we get home.  If you have been forwarded this email and would like to be added to this list, please email me and I will put you on it.  Some people have asked about visiting.  At this point, I think Mom would enjoy receiving cards and good wishes rather than an actual visit. 

When she gets to the point that she can feed you, we'll be sure to let you know!

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts, they seem to be working!

Much Love,
Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment