NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wed. Oct 4, 2006

Greetings

Another progressive day for Mom.  She ate breakfast and lunch using her left hand on her own.  Mom wowed everyone when she used her left hand to write her name.  Then she used the rest of the page to practice her "e"s.  I'm wondering if I need to get my co-sped-teacher to email me some hand writing tracing sheets that we use with the kindergarteners...I'll have to ask the therapist about that one.  (Maybe she should form her own letters because everyone should be able to express themselves in their own way...but we can't leave any Mom's behind, you know).  Mom is very frustrated with communication.  She doesn't seem to like using the picture board and prefers to use gestures, which is great (we haven't received any rude gestures yet but I know she knows how to use them).  Still, she will grab our hands and look deeply into our eyes and try to telecommunicate but this mother ship isn't getting it yet.  She is making sounds when she tries to speak which

I'm told is the first steps to talking again.  Hip hip hurray!

GREAT news from rehab...they are calling today to get preapproval from her health insurance and when the Dr. okays it, she will move up to the 4th floor for intensive rehab....WOWSERS YIPPEE YEAH!  It may happen tomorrow, she is off all IV meds and is taking everything by mouth at this point. 

I am off to buy her some sweat suits and new underwear...yeah she can wear clothes up there.  I'm hoping to find t-shirts that say "One Hot Mama" in various colors.

Much Love to you all, thanks for your support and prayers.  As the mud flaps say, we will just keep on truckin'.

Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment