NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

10/05/06 - Thursday, October 6th?

Greetings

I know it is Thursday but not sure of the date...wait, there is a mini calendar attached to the lamp shade here next to the laptop...how handy, it's the 5th.

Good news:  Mom was transferred to the 4th floor rehab this afternoon.  We met some of the nurses and the social worker...all delightful, light-hearted, good senses of humor, knowledgeable and supportive.  Mom is in the bed next to the window which overlooks the mountain range that you can see from Mom and Dad's house.  There are some maple trees with the leaves changing colors...I am not exaggerating when I say it looks like a peaceful postcard; quite an upgrade from the view of the air conditioning junk from her previous room.  Dad and I were taken for a tour of the facility.  A few therapy rooms (one woman was using a stick and pretending like she was rowing).  Most therapy rooms overlook the mountain view.  There is a room set up like a home, with various types of chairs and a bed and such so patients can practice home skills before leaving.  Dad asked where the quilting therapy was...the nurse said that if we wanted to add that to Mom's goals, to bring it up at the pow-wow meeting...she wasn't joking.  Overall, the facility is kick-ass (sorry to anyone who may be offended by my language...Mom blames it on the mosquito control guys I used to work with...now Dad will scold me for ending a sentence with a preposition).  Next Wednesday we have a meeting with the team who will be working with Mom to go over their assessments, goals and short term plans.

I feel like I'm writing report card comments as I have started with the positive.  Let's just say Mom did not play well with others today.  She was very agitated for most of the morning, definitely wanting something and not

being able to communicate what she wanted.  Needless to say it was frustrating for Mom and for Dad and me.  The social worker talked with us a little bit about the confusion that Mom may be experiencing, something that

I personally have not addressed because she seems to be doing so well.  Of course, some days are going to be better than others...isn't it that way for all of us?  Mom's days are going to be filled to the brim with rehab rehab

rehab, some eating, sleeping, interspersed with more rehab rehab rehab.  The social worker (a God-send) said the first 90 days are the most important for Mom's rehabilitation, so it is going to be intensive.  Keep praying.

More people have requested an address for cards and such.  Please send them to Mom and Dad's house.  It is recommended that patients in this rehab do not receive lots of visitors and she cannot receive phone calls so cards and good wishes would be WONDERFUL to hang on her bulletin board.  If you send anything to Mom directly at the hospital, she will not receive it.

Peggy Loyd
Her Street
Her Town, Her State Her Zip

Much Love to you all, thanks for the good wishes and prayers!

Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment