NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

10/06/06 - Friday, October 6th

Greetings,

 After a day of rehab, I was warned that Mom would be exhausted and probably sleeping.  When I arrived at 5:00 p.m. Mom was sitting up and eating dinner, bright eyed and bushy tailed.  After eating while watching her roommate’s T.V., she pushed her tray away and motioned for me to come closer.  I said "Hi Mom" and she said "hhhaaaaiiii".  And then smiled and laughed. WOW, first day of rehab and she must be excelling to the gifted and talented program.  She then pointed to her closet.  After a little communication glitches it became clear that she wanted to see the clothes I had brought for her.  I showed her each t-shirt and she nodded yes to them all.  The underwear, Christmas socks (she was wearing her Halloween ones today), bra, and sweaters (I took in two of the sweatshirt sweaters she makes...she inspected the stitching on both before she nodded yes) passed the test.  It was the pants that disturbed her.  I had brought in 3 pairs that were new, still had on the tags and she screwed up her face and put them to the side.  She looked over the other two pairs of pants, inspecting the tags and checking out the waistbands and rejected one and kept the other.  She is now down to two pairs of pants...I may need to take her to Wal-Mart to get some acceptable pants because I refuse to go back and forth, buying and returning pants until we find some to her liking.  :)  Just joking, I am THRILLED that she wanted to choose her own clothes to wear while she is there.  It seems like some sort of acceptance of where she is and what she needs to do, as if she figures she might as well have clothes that she wants to wear.

What a pleasant surprise that Mom was alert and with it during our visit tonight.  She leaned up and unbuttoned Dad's shirt with her left hand, the second time she has done that.  We are not sure what that is all about, but hey, it's good fine motor therapy.  Mom also enjoyed opening the cards she has gotten.  She laughed at the fun pictures and seemed to enjoy hearing me read aloud people's good wishes and greetings.  We are keeping the cards in a basket next to her bed so she can flip through them when she wants.

Many of you have expressed concern about me taking good care of myself.  I am eating, sleeping and bathing, I actually feel okay.  My husband Mike (we got married July 1st) arrived this evening and I am feeling even better (and he is happy I have been bathing).

That's all for now.  Again, thanks for all your good wishes and prayers.  Mom is one tough cookie.

Much Love,
Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment