NO WAY: My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?

When first talking to John, the social worker for the rehab floor at the Hospital, I asked him “Is there a book I can read to help me through all this?” Pointing to my hand, “That folder I gave you has some pamphlets with information regarding causes for stokes and recovery for victims,” was his response. “No, no. I mean I’m a daughter of a woman who recently had a stroke and I don’t know what to do. Like the book would be called ‘My Mom Had A Stroke, Now What Do I Do?’ You know of any books like that?” John, the social worker who I soon learned is a Mecca of social workers for rehab patients in the Chambersburg area, replied “No. I haven’t heard of anything like that.” And so, 6 years later, I decided to start this blog.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

10/07/06 - Saturday, October 7th

Greetings,

We visited Mom is shifts today since visiting hours are longer on the weekends.  Dad was there around lunch time.  Mom is still unbuttoning his shirt (Yes, in front of her roommate and the nurses, she's gotten naughty). 

Paul went later on in the afternoon and had a nice visit, telling Mom stories and making her laugh.  Mike and I were there for dinner.  Mom ate heartily and pushed away the tray when she was done.  I brought her some more clothes that met her approval and some newspapers from the lake that she looked through after dinner.  She opened some more cards that made her laugh, smile and roll her eyes, thanks so much for those!  After about an hour, she patted my arm and pointed to the door.  It was like she was saying, “I’ve entertained you enough and now I'm tired, get going."  We gave her loves and kisses and left her watching TV with her delightful roommate.

Another good day where her window seemed to be open (a term the social worker used...sometimes the window is opened and sometimes it's closed, in terms of her understanding and with-it-ness).  Thanks for your good wishes and prayers...what a blessing to have so many caring people in our lives.

Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment